Saturday, November 6, 2010

HOME MADE FERRERO ROCHERS

First, let me assault you.


There.

There was a lot of strategizing in order to make these. I had to be alone. No compromises. 

Chocolate hazelnut wafers that sat in the fridge for about a week or more resulted in interrogations, exclamations and demands. Hazelnuts were roasted while everyone were knocked down and out in their rooms. And 2 bars of dark chocolate I had camouflaged and slipped into the chiller compartment of the refrigerator. Then perfect timing was crucial in the execution of these chocolate gems. So that I wouldn't be defending myself against outstretched fingers and hands, salivating creatures or hair raising grunts and growls throughout the process or while doing the photo shoot. It is hard to believe that this is a houseful of fully formed and developed human beings


It cost me about $60 ringgit to make 60 balls of 'Ferrero Rochers'. Never again shall I be adamant at the price of a box of Ferrero Rochers. But forever I shall be grateful to Ellie of Almost Bourdain for posting this marvelous recipe that duplicated the real thing at every bite. Simply unbelievable. Five out of five humans raised their eyebrows and were successful in vocalizing the word "same' while their mouths were stuffed. Of ferreros and fingers.

Enough said. I would make these again when I am stranded on an unmarked island with all the ingredients. These are not for sharing. I'm a greedy gibbon.

Ellie was right when she said that these could probably be made in any proportion that you think fit.




The task I did not enjoy : Chopping the hazelnuts. This required undesired diligence and some effort partly because I had doubled the recipe. And because they were round they slipped and rolled about easily on the board. I lost one...boo hooo. I might give in to the food processor the next time. Maybe you should too (just make sure it doesn't grind to powder).

The Recipe ~  from Ellie's lovely blog  Almost Bourdain

200 gm. chocolate hazelnut wafer buscuits
250 gm skinned and roasted hazelnuts
375 gm Nutella or any chocolate hazelnut spread
300 gm dark or milk chocolate (I used dark)

Crush the wafer biscuits finely in a large bowl. Add roasted and chopped hazelnuts. (The hazelnuts had been roasted for about 10 minutes at 350 and then cooled before chopping).

Add the Nutella and combine with a spatula until the mixture comes together. Refrigerate for about an hour until it firms up. remove from refrigerator and then roll into balls about 1 inch across. Line them up on a tray and refrigerate again until the balls firm up again.

Break chocolate up while the package is still completely sealed by whacking it on the counter top (smaller pieces of chocolate melt faster and more evenly) and breaking it in its package saves washing up.

Melt broken chocolate in a small to medium metal bowl set over  a pot of barely simmering water. Do Not use high heat or rapidly boiling water because the chocolate will seize and become gritty. When all chocolate has melted lift the bowl off heat and allow it to cool completely or until still slightly warm.

Remove the chocolate balls from the refrigerator and dip them one by one into the melted chocolate and using a fork lift them out gently allowing excess chocolate to drip back into the bowl before placing them on a rack placed over a plate or baking tray.

When all are done and coated chill them again in the refrigerator until firm. Serve them in mini paper cases. They'll look awful cute!


27 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Zurin,

Those look divine...:)Lovely...

Dr.Sameena@

http://www.myeasytocookrecipes.blogspot.com

Luciana said...

mmm...my dear this recipe is wonderful, very goodand inviting!!!! wow!!!! congratulations and have a good week end...:)

Shirley @ Kokken69 said...

Zurin, you are so funny... I bet those sweet toothed crEatures at home devoured these in no time! Love Ellie's recipes. I just made one of her posted recipe myself! Next post!

Anonymous said...

Zurin, I couldn't stop giggling while reading your post! Smuggling and hiding all the ingredients & made them no one was at home. I did the same!! Glad all of you have enjoyed these balls. Didn't know the ingredients are so expensive in Malaysia. Gasp! Thanks for the shout out!

La Table De Nana said...

Those used to be faves of mine..whet a great job you did..quite festive..Did you sneak some bites?:)

Linda said...

Wow is all I can say...they are gorgeous! Simply gorgeous!
Your pics are amazing!
Zurin I have not had my breakfast yet and I could eat a whole bunch of those right now!
L~xo

Federica Simoni said...

wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww sono spaziali!!!!!!!!!complimenti anche per le foto meravigliose!!!!!!ciao!

Nadji said...

MAGNIFIQUES!!!!
Très gourmands. Bravo.

Torviewtoronto said...

delicious
we can eat any amount of ferrero rochers :)

Annika said...

MMM very appetizing, thanks for the recipe)))

pam said...

I could sit and look at those forever and ever!!

Anonymous said...

Why did I never think of this?!? They look so tasty...were they worth the price to make?

busygran said...

Hats off to you! They look chocolatey yummy!

3 hungry tummies said...

You can assault me with them anytime :) Great work Zurin!

Percicilan said...

Aunty Zurin..
It was soo gorgeous... but what do you mean by Hazelnut wafer biscuit? Is it the Nuss brand or whatever it is?

Jennifer (Delicieux) said...

I love ferrero's and your version looks fantastic. I love the almost mirror like coating.

Michigan Food Blog said...

yummy! also love the green

Clare @ Mrs Multitasker said...

Looks wonderful! And really sounds like too much work! haha. Think I'll continue taking the easy way out =)

Anonymous said...

oh my.. i guess we can say bye bye to store bought rochers with these!

Flora said...

Oh my this looks soooooooooooo delicious.

Pavithra
www.dishesfrommykitchen.com

Unknown said...

OH.. that looks so cute.

Susan: My Food Obsession said...

I'm so excited! I can't wait to make my very own Ferrero Rochers!!

The Sweetylicious said...

hi zurin (: i've been eyeing to make this for a while (: (: shall go get the ingredients soon! However, can i check with you, the step that says "before placing them on a rack placed over a plate or baking tray" , i've got to put it on a rack? would the choc have "lines on it" ?

thank you! (: (:

Zurin said...

Sweetylicious,

Hi! thanks for visiting :) M glad youre going to make these too. In answer to your question: No, you dont have to place them on a rack.you could just dip them in chocolate and place them directly on a plate or better still a piece of nonstick baking paper.

But if you do place them on a rack you will not get lines on your ferreros :) its only the bottom part that touches the rack. The reason I place them on a rack is simply so that the chocolate gets to drip off more leaving less of a pool of chocolate around the base.

hope that helps and have a nice day. :))

The Sweetylicious said...

hi zurin (:

thank you! (: keep you updated after i make it (: hopefully it'll look as nice as yours and im sure yours taste YUMMY! (: (:

Unknown said...

those assault...yeah deserve it! absolutely amazing...these germs are lovely! ooh, hazelnuts pricey le...
btw, what kind of hazelnut wafer biscuits that you use?

Cooking Rookie said...

Amacing post!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails